Understanding Things To Do (And To Avoid) To Help With TMJ Pain Relief
Chiropractors are trained to correct bone misalignments. So, the question is "how can a chiropractor help me with Temporomandibular Joint (TMJ) problems?"
Chiropractors focus on adjusting the spine, in doing so the muscles will begin to relax. The chiropractor can then focus using specific trigger points to reposition the jaw to relieve pain and to help in preventing future TMJ pain from returning.
"Using the Activator Method and only two visits...I was pain free..." - Manfred Alkhas
Trigger points are areas of muscle fibers that are very sensitive and feel like knots causing much pain when pressure is applied. Lets take a look at some do’s and don’ts of preventing TMJ from happening or returning.
- Moist Heat - Moist heat from a heat pack or a hot water bottle wrapped in a warm, moist towel can improve function and reduce pain.
- Ice- Ice packs can decrease inflammation and also numb pain and promote healing. Do not place an icepack directly on your skin. Keep the pack wrapped in a clean cloth while you are using it. Do not use an ice pack for more than 10-15 mins.
- Soft Diet - Soft or blended foods allow the jaw to rest temporarily.
- Jaw Exercises - Slow, gentle jaw exercises may help increase jaw mobility.
- Relaxation Techniques - Relaxation and guided imagery can be helpful in dealing with the pain that accompanies TMJ dysfunction. Deep, slow breathing enhances relaxation and modulates pain sensations. Some have found yoga, massage and meditation helpful in reducing stress and aiding relaxation.
- Side Sleeping - Sleep on your side using pillow support between shoulder and neck.
- Relax Facial Muscles - Make a concerted effort to relax your lips, and keep teeth apart.
- Yawning - Use your fist to support your chin as you yawn to prevent damage to the joint and to prevent your jaw from locking open.
- Jaw Clenching
- Gum Chewing
- Cradling the Telephone
- Anesthesia (check with your medical or dental professional first)
- Long Dental Appointments
With the chiropractic adjustment and treatment options available, there's simply no need to suffer unnecessarily from TMJ jaw pain.
So, don't wait any longer to finally get the relief you deserve.
Schedule an appointment or give us a call now!
I look forward to helping you get relief from your TMJ pain.
Dr. Manfred Alkhas, D.C., M. Div.
Or, Call (408) 871-1200
- Our Office Hours -
Map To Our Chiropractor Care Clinic For TMJ Pain Relief
Good Life Chiropractic is located at 280 E Hamilton Ave, Ste E, Campbell, CA 95008. Call us at (408) 871-1200 or Click to Schedule An Appointment
Good Life Chiropractic Is Conveniently Located Near These Attractions In Campbell CA, Including:
Read Our Reviews